Data Distribution Service
We have active research areas centered around the Data Distribution Service (DDS) middleware, including DDS interoperability, multimedia transmission over DDS, and Real-Time Publish-Subscribe (RTPS) protocol. In this sense, The Signal Theory, Telematics and Communications Department of the University of Granada is a partner of the University Program of Real-Time Innovations Inc. We are also members of the RTI Research Community.
Research area description
We are currently working on the following areas related to DDS middleware:
- DDS Interworking: This research is focused on integrating DDS with other technologies. This integration follows two different approaches: 1) Use the SIP protocol family for establishing "DDS Sessions", easing the deploying of DDS data-spaces over the WAN. 2) Integrate traditional client-server systems with DDS in order to take advantage of the benefits of data-centric publish-subscribe communications.
- Multimedia over DDS: The publish subscribe data-centric approach provided by Data Distribution Service makes it a good candidate for multimedia (such as audio and video) content delivery. Some DDS features such as the automatic entities discovery the rich set of QoS defined by the DDS standard have to be tuned to enable DDS to distribute multimedia data. Our research is aimed to determine the optimal QoS policies settings that can improve the multimedia experience in complex scenarios such as reduced bandwidth environments without the need of classical centralized services.
- DDS Scalability: The initial versions of DDS were developed to operate in LAN (Local Area Network) infrastructures. Thus, each DDS system was restricted to a single, isolated, specific Domain, which was usually confined to a LAN and rarely exceeded one thousand computers. To overcome this restriction, we proposed the DDS Routing Service (DDS-RS). The DDS-RS is a generic service capable of transparently bridging DDS Domains as well as adapting among different data schemas. A key benefit of our approach is that the service can interoperate with existing DDS applications, bridging them without requiring them to be modified. We also showed that the impact of the service on the communications performance is well within the acceptable limits of most real-world uses of DDS.
- Real-Time Publish Subscribe protocol: This research is aimed improve the RTPS protocol. Specifically, we are working on adapting the RTPS protocol to the requirements of disadvantaged networks. Our research is focused on using Bloom Filters for reducing the RTPS discovery required bandwidth.
- RELOAD Extension for Data Discovery and Transfer in Data-Centric Publish Subscribe Environments Computer Standards & Interfaces, Available online 20 July 2013, ISSN 0920-5489, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.csi.2013.06.006. 2013. Download , , , .
- DARGOS: a Highly Adaptable and Scalable Monitoring Architecture for Multi-Tenant Clouds Accepted in Future Generation Comupter Systems: Special Issue on Cloud Monitoring. 2013. DARGOS Demo Web Page In press. D.O.I: 10.1016/j.future.2013.04.022 , , , , .
- A content-aware bridging service for publish/subscribe environments Journal of Systems and Software 2012. doi:10.1016/j.jss.2012.07.033 , . . .
- DDS-Enabled Cloud Management Support for Fast Task Offloading The Seventeenth IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communication (ISCC'12) 2012. PDF , , . .
- Performance Evaluation of Publish/Subscribe Middleware Technologies for ATM (Air Traffic Management) Systems Workshop on Real-time, Embedded and Enterprise-Scale Time-Critical Systems, 2012. PDF , , and , .
- An extensible DDS-based monitoring and intrusion detection system Real-time and Embedded Systems Workshop 2011. PDF , , .
- Bloom Filter Based Discovery Protocol for DDS Middleware Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Volume 71, Issue 10, October 2011, Pages 1305-1317, ISSN 0743-7315, 10.1016/j.jpdc.2011.05.001. 2011. Download , , , .
- DDS/SIP Interworking: A DDS-SIP Gateway Real-time and Embedded Systems Workshop 2010. PDF , , .
- EMDS: an Extensible Multimedia Distribution Service Real-time and Embedded Systems Workshop 2010. PDF , , .
- Instant Messaging Based Interface for Data Distribution Service XIII Jornadas de Tiempo Real 2010. PDF , , , .
- Políticas de QoS en una Plataforma de Trabajo Colaborativo sobre Middleware DDS XIII Jornadas de Tiempo Real 2010. PDF , , , .
- Deploying DDS on a WAN and the GIG: The DDS Router Real-time and Embedded Systems Workshop 2009. PDF , , ,
- An XML-Based Approach to the Configuration and Deployment of DDS Applications Real-time and Embedded Systems Workshop 2008. PDF , , , .
- QoS Policies for Audio/Video Distribution Over DDS Middleware Real-time and Embedded Systems Workshop 2008. PDF , , , .
- Scalable DDS Discovery Protocols Based on Bloom Filters Real-time and Embedded Systems Workshop 2007. PDF , , .
- Director: Juan M. Lopez-Soler. DDS on the WAN: The DDS Routing Service 2009. ,
- Director: Juan M. Lopez-Soler. A DDS Discovery Protocol based on Bloom filters 2009. PDF | Slides ,
- Director: Juan M. Lopez-Soler. Data Distribution Service and Instant Messaging Integration 2008. PDF | Slides ,
- Director: Juan M. Lopez-Soler, Javier Sánchez Monedero. Plataforma extensible para la monitorización de sistemas y la detección de intrusiones con DDS 2010 PDF | Slides ,
- Director: Juan M. Lopez-Soler. Plataforma de Trabajo Colaborativo sobre Middleware DDS. 2008. PDF | Slides ,
- Director: Juan M. Lopez-Soler. Una metodología basada en XML para la configuracion y despliegue de aplicaciones DDS 2008. PDF | Slides ,
- Director: Juan M. Lopez-Soler, Juan José Ramos-Muñoz. Diseño e Implementación de una Arquitectura para una Interfaz de Mensajeria Instantánea en DDS 2007. PDF | Slides ,
- Single European Sky ATM Research (SESAR) Joint - Undertaking Identification of Technology and Services Options & SWIM Prototype. Indra + eProsima 2010-2011
- DDS Interoperability Solutions Real-time Innovations Inc. 2010-2011
- DDS Routing Service Real-time Innovations Inc. 2008-2009
- Audio and Video transmission with Data-Distribution Services. Wide Area Network deployments and evaluation Real-time Innovations Inc. 2007-2008